There are numerous factors that influence the price of breast augmentation and some of them do not have an objective measure such as the experience or skills of the surgeon. These factors which determine how much a breast augmentation are following:
- The quality of the implants used as the price of breast augmentation can vary depending on the model and brand of the implant. Currently all models used are of very high quality because they are subjected to numerous sanitary controls after the various problems that have happened in the previous years. The technology used in these prostheses has come a long way in the last decade with the arrival of textured prosthesis, cohesive gel silicone implants, etc. These advances provide greater security and many manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty. As a guide, and depending on the chosen model and manufacturer, high-quality prosthesis can be found on the market from $1,000.00 or $1,200.00. Later in the text different types of prostheses will be described.
- The surgeon’s fee and the rates applied by these professionals depend on numerous factors and usually is the main factor to quantify the price of breast augmentation. These fees are determined based on their professional standing, their medical qualifications and experience which can be accredited. A professional who can prove their training at a prestigious university, continuing training and experience in the various surgical techniques have higher fees than those who cannot accredit any of these. It is very difficult to provide an indicative rate because it depends on each professional. It is very important to note that not all surgeons offer the same services, not all have mastered the necessary techniques for placement of the breast implants so that they can choose the best option for each case. You should always consult a plastic surgeon, a specialist in reconstructive and cosmetic surgery. In this section we also include anesthetists’ fees and fees of health support staff in the operating room, which also involve a higher amount of total cost.
- The bill of the hospital or clinic where the procedure is performed as breast augmentation surgery requires the hospitalization of the patient. It is a very variable cost depending on the prestige of the center, its facilities and the services offered. It also depends on each city as those in which there are numerous quality centres, increased competition and possibly more competitive prices are established. It is very difficult to find a good centre that lets an operating theatre for less than $700.00, but this amount can be doubled depending on the centre and the city.
- Some patients decide to take out insurance before the intervention which increases the cost a bit. The price of the insurance is not high.
The sum of all these concepts determine the price of breast augmentation and readers are referred to centers or professionals with proven experience offering a full warranty and in many cases offer their services at a very affordable price. Depending on the city you can find surgeons or medical centres performing breast augmentation surgery with full warranty and professionalism starting with $5,500.00 or $6,000 since with the current crisis the prices have been adjusted for this type of surgery.
Some patients decide to take out insurance before the intervention which increases the cost of the breast augmentation a bit.
In BonoMedico you can find a complete team with the best plastic surgeons in many cities in the U.S.A., at the best prices. This team consists of surgeons with years of proven experience and with full warranty. Hundreds of satisfied patients are your best guarantee.
Factors influencing the price of breast augmentation
We will discuss three of the factors that most influence the price of breast augmentation such as the type of prostheses, how to choose a good surgeon and the type anesthesia during surgery.
Which anesthesia is used: general or local?
One of the questions that patients often ask is what kind of anesthesia is commonly used and most surgeons prefer general anesthesia, not because it is an operation of great difficulty or high risk but because it is the safest and most comfortable option for patients. General anesthesia facilitates the surgeon’s work and eliminates any pain or discomfort in the patient during the operation. A disadvantage is that it requires hospitalization of the patient and a longer recovery than with local anesthesia, and therefore a higher cost that affects the price of breast augmentation, but in return the patient is under medical supervision during that time.
Local anesthesia may be used in some cases injecting it subcutaneously so that the anaesthetic reaches the nerves of the breast. The patient is conscious throughout the process but will suffer the discomfort of local anesthesia and even pain during the operation if it cannot neutralize all nerve branches that reach the breasts.
General anesthesia is the most recommended by surgeons due to all the benefits it brings to patients despite its higher cost.
With this type of anesthesia the patient can be discharged after a few hours but that early discharge can become a disadvantage if there are complications as it has been statistically proven that most of them occur within 24 hours after the intervention. If the patient is hospitalized, her examination is much more effective. Finally, local anesthesia cannot be used in certain cases, such as when it is placed under the pectoral muscle. General anesthesia is the most recommended by surgeons due to all the benefits it brings to patients despite its higher cost.
What kind of prosthesis is best for my chest?
Another major decisions to be taken by women who want to increase the size of their breasts is the choice of prosthesis because achieving the objectives of this intervention will depend largely on it, and they are getting a natural result, satisfy the expectations and the physical and psychological needs of each woman and a result that is durable. In addition, they are a very important factor to determine the price of breast augmentation as each model, which we are going to describe, has a different price.
Currently all prostheses sold in the USA are high quality because they comply with numerous controls by health authorities, starting with the authorization of the FDA. It is a product qualified for health service as biometric implants (like the hip or heart or valves) with all the requirements and controls that this qualification implies. It is also a widely studied product and used since the sixties and it has evolved considerably thanks to new materials and new technologies.
The final result is different depending on the type of prostheses chosen, surgical approach, placement, the size, etc.
The offer is very wide and you have to keep in mind that the final result is different depending on the type of prostheses chosen, surgical approach, placement, the size, etc. Therefore, the choice of the prosthesis is a very important decision and to take that decision, the surgeon must know what the patient’s expectations are regarding the size and shape of the breasts. The surgeon can advise the patient on these options by giving her good quality information.
There are numerous ways to make a correct classification of the different types of breast implants and these are the most important ones:
- Volume: the variety of options regarding the size of the implant is very wide but surgeons recommend avoiding excesses. The size is usually between 125 cc and 450 cc, which are very different sizes, so the patient should not try to follow the trendy fashions and should pay attention to the advice of the surgeon who will recommend the most appropriate size depending on her current breasts, her height, volume of her ribcage, etc. so as to achieve the most natural possible result. To help with this choice simulations of the final result can be done using bras with different prostheses or 3D simulations.
- Brand or Manufacturer: The offer is very large and of high quality and safety. Each surgeon offers different options which he has had positive results with, all very safe and with a full warranty as technological advances in recent years have been enormous with new materials and prostheses that have virtually eliminated risks of previous years.
- What they are made of: Currently most of the prostheses used by surgeons are made of two different materials, saline or cohesive silicone gel. These are the materials that are offering best results and their main features are as follows:
- Cohesive Silicone Gel: This model has several very important advantages such as its high durability and reduced risk of rupture. The cohesive gel is formed by numerous layers of silicone, which, in case of rupture, doesn’t come out of the prosthesis to the breasts, but it remains cohesive, connected. The risk of rupture or leakage is virtually nonexistent (less than 0.01%) and when they occur, they are usually caused by a violent blow, like a sharp fall or an accident with a car or motorbike. They offer a very natural result to the touch and its duration is very long, in fact many have manufacturer’s warranty for life. They not deform over time. In addition, they reduce the risk of rejection or encapsulation and chronic inflammation that were caused by the old prosthesis.
- Saline solution: these implants have an advantage because a cut or incision needed to insert it into the breasts is smaller than in other types since they are placed empty and filled once inside the breasts. Another advantage is that if saline leaks due to rupture or wear of the prosthesis, it is absorbed by the body without any problems or contraindications. Their disadvantage is that they have a higher percentage of rupture or leak, they are harder to touch and cause feelings of cold or heat in the chest as they cool down or warm up more slowly than breast tissues.
- External surface: in recent years the technology has advanced greatly in the composition of the outer part of the implant, which is formed by a bag of silicone or polyurethane filled with cohesive gel or saline. This exterior part or bag forms the surface of the prosthesis and can be smooth or textured. Every surgeon has an opinion formed throughout years of experience, but there is some agreement amongst them to choose the implants with smooth surface if they are to be placed under the pectoral muscle and on the other hand, to choose the implants with textured surface if they are to be placed above the muscle and below the mammary gland. The experience accumulated by thousands of surgeons for decades has led to the conclusion that the capsular contracture that was caused by smooth surface implants placed under the gland have been drastically reduced by inserting prostheses with textured surface in that area. It was also found that the textured surface prostheses cause major problems in cases where moving upwards because their roughness causes them to adhere to the chest and is more difficult to place them lower. Therefore, avoid breast massage until they are firmly in place.
- Form: together with the size, this is the decision that most influences the aesthetic outcome of surgery. The shape of the prosthesis can be round or anatomical. Round implants are recommended for larger prostheses. The material they are made of is a cohesive gel with lower density which allows the breasts to change shape with changes in posture. The force of gravity causes that the gel moves towards the bottom of the prosthesis when the woman is on her feet or standing. Its appearance is very natural and there are dozens of models of this shape which adapts to the taste or the needs of each patient. Anatomical prostheses are composed of a firm gel, which does not adapt or change shape with changes in posture. Its aesthetic result is very good because they are designed with the shape of a teardrop or drop of water, with a flatter upper breast pole which gives it a natural-looking appearance. Anatomic prostheses were born as implants for breast reconstruction and were aimed at reducing problems in case of possible rupture of the bag and were formed by a dense gel that did not change its shape in any time or position. They had a nearly spherical shape with an unnatural appearance. In their evolution they changed their shape to the current of a drop or more anatomical and natural teardrop.
- Finally, another feature to consider is the profile of the implant, which can be high, moderate or low, and it depends on the height between the base and the top. The surgeon always recommends to take into account the volume of the prosthesis and the ribcage of the patient, among other factors.
The choice of the surgeon
One of the important factors influencing the price of breast augmentation is the choice of the surgeon. The fundamental question is how to choose a good plastic surgeon to ensure trouble-free operation and achieve the breasts you desire. Keep in mind that plastic surgery is a branch of surgery that has a very wide field of action from breast reconstruction after cancer, burns, major trauma, deformities in different parts of the body, etc. and each intervention requires a very accurate technique in addition to a thorough knowledge of human anatomy and tissues in which they must intervene. All this combined with the need to achieve a flawless cosmetic result with the enormous difficulty that this entails in many injuries.
The capsular contracture that was caused by smooth surface implants placed under the gland have been drastically reduced by inserting prostheses with textured surface in that area.
In the choice of a surgeon it is essential to make sure that you have a fluid communication with him during which you can get all the necessary information, resolve any possible doubts and clarify the expectations you have from this operation. The surgeon should discuss with the patient if the desired results are possible to achieve and inform on the best options in order to achieve her expectations regarding the type of prostheses, surgical technique and the risks and disadvantages of each decision.
The skill and experience of a good surgeon are elements that cannot be generalised as it depends on each case but it is a reality that the fees of these professionals have also been adjusted to the current economic crisis making such interventions more affordable for many women.
A breast augmentation patient should choose a plastic surgeon with appropriate qualifications and years of experience that can be found on BonoMedico, featuring a team of surgeons with extensive experience and total guarantee and security. And you can find the best price. The price of breast augmentation is no longer a problem since it is within the reach of all budgets and with the guarantee of a team of highly experienced surgeons and with a full guarantee that they perform operations in the best hospitals.