Recovery after breast augmentation in Washington
Some of the questions most commonly asked by women before undergoing breast augmentation in Washington are what the scars will look like, if they will be visible or how to hide them, among other questions.
Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure in cosmetic surgery, which already has a long history. In fact, progress in terms of the techniques and materials used has been made in recent years and now breast implants used for surgery are completely safe. But besides safety, we must stress that today, there is a wide variety of types of implants, either by shape (round or anatomical), size, texture (smooth or rough) or filler material (saline or silicone gel) so it is sure that every patient will find the implant that suits the characteristics of the anatomy of her breast in particular.
Let your plastic surgeon advise you; once you tell her what you want to achieve, she we will advise you on the best breast implant for your case. Logically, the choice of one or another implant will affect the price of breast augmentation in Washington.
This higher quality of breast implants has made the number of implant ruptures decline substantially and their duration has increased. But not only. When this implant rupture occurs, breast implant filler does not spill or leak out to other parts of the body, but stays in the same place where it was put. In addition, the substance which it is made of is biocompatible, so you can say that breast implants are not dangerous.
Therefore, we must reject the false beliefs that say that breast implants prevent from detecting a tumor or do a mammogram. And, of course, there are also false statements which say that there is a greater chance of developing breast cancer, or the implant can explode on a plane or simply that the breasts will sag more than without an implant.
Today, there is a wide variety of types of implants, either by shape (round or anatomical), size, texture (smooth or rough) or filler material (saline or silicone gel) so it is sure that every patient will find the implant that suits the characteristics of the anatomy of her breast in particular.
In this respect we can say that there are numerous factors that can affect proper healing after breast augmentation in Washington, some of which may include:
- Ability of the plastic surgeon and the surgical technique: You must take special care with the surgeon you choose to perform the operation because she must be a qualified professional and must have a lot of experience in this type of surgery. This specialist must have great skills at the time of the intervention, and should take special care of the place where the incision (cut) and the surgical approach chosen, selecting an area with proper tension on the skin. You should also be able to perform some fine stitches accompanied by the optimum ability to avoid damaging large amount of tissue so that the edges where the cut was made can heal correctly.
- Blood supply to the wound and nutrition: Both factors are conditioned by how each patient heals, although there are many drugs that contribute to these basic functions.
- Appearance of infections: breast augmentation cosmetic surgery is a very controlled intervention, so serious infection almost never occurs. However, in a few cases where patients suffer, it can be controlled easily by a treatment to prevent scarring.
- The direction of the wound: It all depends on what the direction of the incision is.
- Surgical approach: the place where the cut of the incision is made is also very important.
- The skin type and location of the scar: every skin type will also influence the way in which each patient heals.
The above points refer to the factors that make healing go well. However, there are also negative factors that influence the process, causing poor healing after breast augmentation in Washington DC. Among these negative factors are:
- Age: This factor is crucial because the older the woman, the more complicated the healing process is because the body’s ability to perform proper healing is reduced as we age. When it comes to the minimum age for breast augmentation, we have to say that it actually does not exist. But that does not mean that surgery can be performed at any age, since the requirement is that the breasts have completed their development fully. This usually occurs between 17 and 18 years, but in some cases may be somewhat delayed. Therefore, it should be the specialist who assesses whether the development is completed and if the intervention is possible. If not so, a lot of places recommend performing a massage to increase bust or a series of physical exercises and even certain foods or diets. However, we must warn you that the effectiveness of these measures is very limited, if not zero; the only definitive and lasting option for having a larger bust is breast augmentation surgery.
- Chronic disease: the prior existence of certain diseases can also contribute to poor healing, which disrupt the healing process. Some of them include: arterial insufficiency, diabetes mellitus, hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, atherosclerosis, etc. Because of that, this type of patients are run many more clinical examinations that those patients who do not have these diseases and it is evaluated in more detail if they are able to undergo surgery.
- Alcohol: it is a negative factor for successful healing. In fact, women who do not quit alcohol during the recovery period, have a significant delay in healing.
- Tobacco: is another negative factor for successful healing. It affects the healing process because it alters the microcirculation, producing vasoconstriction on the arteries and unwanted hypertension.
- Radiation and chemotherapy: Patients who are with either of these two treatments cannot be subjected to a breast reconstruction because, apart from being a risk, radiotherapy and chemotherapy also are negative factors for skin healing.
- Unexpected adverse skin reactions: when skin allergies occur.
- Previous scars: When there are previous scars in the same area of the skin, the scar after breast augmentation surgery tends to be more noticeable.
Abnormal response to healing in breast augmentation in Washington
In some patients, the healing process has an abnormal response during the recovery. This condition is called hypertrophic scarring, and it can manifest in several different ways.
In conclusion it should be understood that healing is a process in which living tissue repair their wounds, therefore much will depend on how the tissues respond to the injury. Fortunately, today, thanks to advances in medicine, there are specific treatments to treat this type of scarring that eventually become invisible to the human eye.
Before the patient decides to go on a consultation due to bad scarring, she should wait for some time until the entire healing process is finished after breast augmentation in Washington.
Phases of tissue recovery and healing
- Inflammation phase: from the first to the fourth day the inflammation phase of the intervention area and wound closure take place. In this phase the blood vessels constrict at first to stop the bleeding, and once past that step, expand to stimulate cell migration. Later, the place where the stitches have been done (the cut) starts to clean itself, so patients usually have burning sensation, itching or some discomfort or occasional pain.
- Tissue regeneration phase: This phase begins on the fifth day and ends at the fortieth (i.e. the day number 40). Recovery or regeneration of the damaged tissues with the formation of blood vessels and new skin tissue is carried out during this time.
- Wound maturation phase: Once the forty days have passed the wound matures, scar softens and loses volume to the point that any itching disappears. The tissue that was affected by the cut or incision recovers its tensile strength up to 80%, and occasionally it recovers up to 100%.
Sunbathing after breast augmentation in Washington DC
There is another questions that is raised before undergoing surgery for breast augmentation, which is if you can sunbathe after cosmetic surgery. To answer this question we will begin by saying that currently, there are a number of recommendations that must be taken into account in this regard, such as how and when you can sunbathe after breast augmentation in Washington.
Showing off on the beach more stylized breasts, breasts which are more suitable to the rest of your body generates great satisfaction and increases self-esteem of those patients who have undergone breast augmentation surgery. However, there is a downside to all this is that a few weeks after the patient has undergone breast augmentation surgery in Washington, she cannot be exposed to the sun immediately, as the effects of the sun and sunlight on the scars after surgery can be harmful. Some experts say that the right time about how and when sunbathing after breast augmentation is conditioned by the experience of each surgeon and skin of each person.
The patient cannot be exposed to the sun immediately after breast augmentation in Washington.
Most plastic surgeons advise against sunbathing topless at least for a year and advise applying a thick layer of sunscreen even when wearing a bathing suit or bikini set, because they argue that ultraviolet rays can pass through the fabric, especially if light-colored fabrics. The same doctors consider that by sunbathing following a breast augmentation operation, you can aggravate pigmentation of the scar, which can make it more visible.
However, there is another group of specialists who are less alarmist and reduce the period of one year to three months, as long as they take into account the skin type of each patient. But the debate is eliminated if breast augmentation surgery should be performed after the summer and if you should wait for more than six months before you expose to the sun, a time period that most plastic surgeons believe it is appropriate. In any case, it is best to consult your specialist after analyzing your skin type and characteristics and she will indicate more precisely how long you will need to wait until you to start sunbathing without any problem.
How to take care of your skin when exposed to sunlight after breast augmentation
It is important that the patient always remember that the sun’s rays darken scars caused by breast augmentation surgery, so it is essential to use adequate sunscreen. Although creams or sunscreens decrease largely the harmful effects of sunlight, their effectiveness is always conditioned by several factors such as the type of the patient, the amount of cream applied and the frequency with which it is applied, as well as the protection factor, the absorption capacity of the skin, and even the type of activity that the person does under the sun or the exposure time that the patient can undergo.
By sunbathing following a breast augmentation operation, you can aggravate pigmentation of the scar, which can make it more visible.
Taking all that into account, experts agree that an application of 2 grams per square centimeter applied 15 to 20 minutes before sun exposure increases the effectiveness of sunscreen when it comes to protecting scars after breast augmentation surgery. This application should be repeated every thirty minutes during the sun exposure. However, doctors say that these recommendations are very rarely met rigorously, so they recommend that sunscreen with full protection (factor 50) be applied and they advise patients to wear wide-brimmed hats to reduce exposure to ultraviolet rays.
Factors that have direct or indirect influence in healing
The evolution of the scar after breast augmentation in Washington depends a lot on the blood supply that will reach the damaged tissues and nutrition that they are provided. However, it should be noted that these aspects are different in each person. In cases where the process is very slow, there are several medications that can facilitate and accelerate these processes in the body.
In addition, there are other variants that directly or indirectly influence the evolution of healing such as the age of the patient (because the older the person, the less healing capacity the body has); previous diseases such as atherosclerosis, diabetes mellitus, hyper or hypothyroidism; and also habits like smoking or drinking alcohol can affect healing. Being subjected to chemotherapy or radiation can also influence healing.
Another important factor is the experience and skill of the plastic surgeon, who should take extra care when choosing the most appropriate area for patients to make the cut of the skin and tissues. It is also worth noting that special sutures are used in each surgery, which are very fine. And if to this we add the skill and experience of the surgeon, tissue and skin damage can be minimal and therefore the cut less visible on the patient.
There are other variants that directly or indirectly influence the evolution of healing such as the age of the patient; previous diseases and also habits like smoking or drinking.
It is also important, as we have already mentioned before, to be careful before heading out to sunbathe when you have breast implants. This is a basic recommendation of all medical specialists in order to achieve better aesthetic result in each patient. In this sense, it is best to be guided by the specialist and not by general advice because each patient is different and each body reacts differently. The recovery process of each patient is divided in various periods, which are not always the same, and the opinion of the doctor performing the surgery must prevail at all times.
Some possible complications may require more time before you start sunbathing.
Risks and complications of breast augmentation in Washington
There are some risks and complications in this type of surgery that can make you wait longer until you start sunbathing with breast implants. Among those risks (which occur rarely) are:
- Infections, showing symptoms such as fever and inflammation in the breast. These infections can be cured with antibiotics. The infection can be located in the area where the implants have been placed, and only in very severe cases these implants should be removed.
- The hematomas are accumulations of blood in the breast. They often disappear within a few days on their own, without any treatment. However, it is always advisable to use drains in the breasts to prevent its occurrence.
- Capsular contracture occurs by tissue hardening and contraction which breasts create to wrap and isolate the implant, because the body sees it as a foreign body, and creates this “wrapper” as a normal mechanism of adaptation of the breast after an implants placement. This tissue forms a layer around the implant and its texture is soft. If there is capsular contracture, the pain is very intense and can create a breast deformation, creating an unnatural appearance of the breasts. It occurs in very rare cases because new techniques and advances in technology and surgical materials have reduced them, as well as displacement or rotation of the implants or the folds or “rippling”. The degree of contractures is graded. They are grade one when it is barely noticeable and the breast remains soft to the touch and still looks very natural. However, if the hardness advances and appearance ceases to be natural, the degree of the contracture raises and can reach grade four with the hard breast and with obvious distortions, and also pain and discomfort.
- Seromas are an accumulation of fluid in the areas around the implant. It is a fairly normal situation and it is absorbed by the body within a few days, although this process can be helped by drains.
Lactation after breast augmentation surgery in Washington DC
Breast augmentation surgery is a fairly common surgery worldwide. Since the sixties it has evolved in many ways, both in surgical techniques, implants presentations or quality, and it has become a very safe surgery.
Breast Augmentation in Washington is usually required by women with small or asymmetrical breasts or by women have lost a lot of volume after pregnancy or after significant weight loss.
We should keep in mind that if the patient follows all the advice given by her surgeon during the recovery period, such as performing a massage as instructed, do not sunbathe, be careful during sex in the early days, do not do intense physical exercises in the first few weeks, you should be off work for some time, etc.
It should be noted that immediately after surgery, the plastic surgeon will place the patient an elastic bandage to be worn (without removing it) during the first three days or as long as the specialist tells you to. After three days the bandage will be removed and replaced by a special sports bra, which she must wear over the next several months.
This surgery is usually required by women with small or asymmetrical breasts (the two breasts don’t have the same size) or by women have lost a lot of volume after pregnancy or after significant weight loss.
Among the most frequently asked questions that women who want to undergo this type of intervention for breast augmentation in Washington is whether they can breastfeed after this surgery. The response of doctors is always yes, because the techniques used today for breast augmentation permit it and glandular tissue of the patient is not affected for the future breastfeeding. However, it is advisable that the patient notify the surgeon about her desire to be a mother and to breastfeed. The specialist will take appropriate measures and use the appropriate techniques so that the patient’s desire can be fulfilled.
In order to ensure the future breastfeeding you have to consider some factors of such surgeries. And it depends on the technique chosen for implant placement, which can have different results when it comes to breastfeeding with breast implants.
Implant placement technique
The duration of the intervention of breast augmentation in Washington depends on several factors, including the technique, but it usually lasts between one and two hours. General or local anesthesia with sedation can be used for this surgery. Anesthesia ensures that the patient will not feel any pain during the operation. Once past the effects of anesthesia, the patient may experience mild discomfort or pain and the specialist will prescribe appropriate analgesics.
Before surgery the patient will have to undergo a series of preoperative tests to ensure that she has a good general health and can undergo surgery and anesthesia without any problems.
The duration of the intervention depends on several factors, but it usually lasts between one and two hours.
The technique for implant placement on breast augmentation in Washington may be different depending on the anatomy of the breast and the volume of the ribcage of women. The most common way of placing the implant is performed through a small incision in either the nipple or areola or under the breast. The scar is almost invisible because the area of the areola there are many changes of tones and textures in the skin that conceal the scar and under the breast is hidden by the breast itself. The choice of the type of implant also influences (because it can be smooth or textured, anatomical or round). You should opt for a good plastic surgeon who has experience so that there are no setbacks during the operation, which would prevent you from breastfeeding after breast augmentation surgery.
With new surgical techniques any damage to the glandular tissue is avoided and implants are placed behind the pectoral muscle. It is also very advisable when you want future breastfeeding to be possible, that the incision be made under the breast, in the area of inframammary fold, so that the nipple is not altered or modified.
When the specialist decides to place the breast implant through the areola of the nipple, she should be very careful not to damage any conduit nor the mammary gland, because although neither the ducts nor the glands are affected, in some cases scarring inside the breast can create difficulties for breastfeeding. The patient should let the surgeon know that she wants to be a mother in the future, so the specialist must take great care to prevent any damage to the ducts through which flows the milk, or in the mammary glands or nerves.
It should be noted that in rare cases, breast augmentation with this technique can slightly change the size of the nipple.
If a nerve is damaged, the woman can lose or decrease the sensitivity in the area around the nipple, which may affect milk let-down. If the milk ducts are damaged during surgery, in the future when the woman becomes a mother, she will generate less milk, but she can still breastfeed after breast augmentation operation, though with more difficulty.
The most common way of placing the implant is performed through a small incision in either the nipple or areola or under the breast.
In some cases it may happen that the implant does not damage the ducts but it does squeeze it, which minimize the passage of milk or it may even block it completely and this will cause an inflammation of the breast.
There are many areas of the breast where implants can be placed for the breast augmentation in Washington. It is usually placed behind the gland but there is also an option to place it in front or behind the breast muscle. The final decision on where the implant will be put is up to the doctor once she has already analyzed the structure of the patient’s breasts, the size and model of implant that will be used.
Breast augmentation technique ideal for breastfeeding
At all times the doctor has to prevent from any damage in any areas of the nipple, which is where the milk ducts are through which milk flows and also different nerves that create sensation in the female breast. These nerves and sensitivity generated in the nipple are responsible for giving appropriate instructions to the brain to release hormones oxytocin and prolactin, which are needed to produce milk.
The doctor should choose the most appropriate technique for each patient once the anatomy of the breast is analyzed, so she can breastfeed with breast implants without any problem.
When implants are placed through the areola and nipple these risks are higher. That is why plastic surgeons often choose the area of inframammary line to put the implant when the woman informs them of her desire to be a mother in the future, because in this way the risks are reduced. The doctor should choose the most appropriate technique for each patient once the anatomy of the breast is analyzed, so she can breastfeed with breast implants without any problem.