Breast augmentation surgery in Indianapolis
Breast augmentation in Indianapolis or augmentation mammoplasty is a surgical procedure that is used to increase breast size and improve the shape of breasts, thanks to implanting a breast prosthesis. It is a very successful intervention with very good results, so today it is one of the most performed plastic surgery procedures in the U.S.A. and worldwide.
Currently advertising and different media are saturated with images of women with voluptuous and firm breasts, which spreads the idea that female beauty depends largely on the volume of your breasts. This idea is totally wrong and it should not be the only motivation for this procedure.
Women’s breasts change over the life and they will grow and develop until about 18 years of age. They can change throughout life, pregnancy, lactation, menstruation, menopause, etc. Breast augmentation is not recommended before that age because the breasts can continue to develop in some cases.
Minimum age for breast augmentation
Breast augmentation in Indianapolis is indicated for women who have small breast due to lack of development or women who have suffered a decrease in the volume of their breasts because of pregnancy or significant weight loss. This intervention is also used for women with asymmetrical breasts. It is advisable to have this surgery done after the age of 18, as before that, the breasts are developing and growing.
Besides, in general the mental maturity is greater from that age. Since it is an operation with an immediate result, it is very important to define realistic expectations to the surgeon before the operation. In BonoMédico you can find plastic surgeons of great experience who will advise you on the best options to achieve a very satisfactory and natural result.
Breast augmentation in Indianapolis is indicated for women who have small breast.
In order for breast augmentation in Indianapolis to be performed, patients must have a complete medical examination done, which evaluates health condition of women and if there is a contraindication for this intervention. Your breasts are checked, as well as their size and shape and characteristics of the skin. You also have blood test done prior to the operation. Although it is a short and safe operation, and with little risk to women who undergo it, it is necessary to consider that this intervention like any other must be carried out in a clinic or a fully equipped hospital, with all the instruments, appliance, material, etc. and a medical team needed to ensure a proper operation.
Types of breast implants
Breast augmentation is a surgical placement of breast implants. The approximate duration is one hour and is usually done under general anesthesia, but in some cases local anesthesia is used.
There are different types of breast implants and when choosing which is to be used, we must assess the preferences of the patient. In order to choose the right size it is useful to perform a simulation of the final result of the operation by using bras with different sizes. In addition to the expectations of the patient, it is very important to follow the recommendations of the surgeon who will analyze your anatomy, the size of your breasts, height, weight and volume of your chest, and with all that data, the surgeon will be able to advise on the size of the implants which can achieve the best results in each patient.
In order for breast augmentation in Indianapolis to be performed, patients must have a complete medical examination done.
When it comes to the shape, implants can be round, which gives a more bulky appearance with a more pronounced cleavage, or teardrop, which gives a more natural look. The teardrop shape is often used in reconstructive surgery after breast cancer.
Nowadays, breast implants formed by a silicone bag which may be filled with a silicone gel, physiological saline or a hydrogel are used for breast augmentation in Indianapolis. They have a rough surface which reduces significantly the risk of hardening of the capsule. Today it is considered that silicone gel implants are the ones that give better results, providing a natural appearance of breasts and there are almost all sizes and shapes.
The cohesive silicone gel implants are formed by many layers of silicone which eliminates the risk of leakage and decreases the risk of rupture to 0.5 per cent. Rupture in this type of implants is usually provoked by a blow or trauma in the chest. In breast augmentation it is recommended not to seek cost savings when it comes to the type of implants, as they will be inside your body for many years, so it is important to look for good quality implants.
How and where are breast implants placed?
Breast implants can be placed as follows:
- Subglandular: under the mammary gland and the pectoralis major muscle.
- Subpectoral: it is placed between the pectoralis major muscle and ribs.
- Subfascial: it is placed between the fascia and the pectoralis muscle.
The choice of the site where it is placed depends on the anatomy of the breast of each patient and this decision is up to the surgeon. The incision can be done either under the breast, along the inframammary line, and around the areola or in the armpit. Normally the implant is placed through the areola through an incision on the edge, right at the junction with the breast skin as in that area there are changes in skin tone that conceal the incision, which makes the scar virtually invisible. However, this approach is not recommended in cases of a very small nipple or a bigger implant.
The surgical approach under the armpit is used less often because of the difficulty of the technique as there is a greater distance to the breasts.
After placing the implants, the incision is sutured and cured with special bandages.
Postoperative phase of breast augmentation in Indianapolis
After the operation the patients go to the recovery room until they recover from anesthesia. They are usually placed a few small drainages to avoid bruising. Hospitalization time is short, usually one day, after which the patient is discharged. For discomfort and pain analgesics and anti-inflammatories are prescribed. It is advisable to use a special bra and give yourself a massage, especially a lymphatic massage.
It should be noted that the use of the breast implants does not prevent future breastfeeding.
During the recovery after breast augmentation in Indianapolis the patient should maintain an almost absolute rest regimen, although in a few days you can live your everyday life as usual. It is important to sleep on your backs to avoid unnecessary pressure to your breasts. It is important not to lift any weight or make any sudden moves or efforts or do dangerous sports. You must keep your skin hydrated and use rosehip seed oil for scars. You should avoid the sun on the scars for the first year.
It should be noted that the use of the breast implants does not prevent future breastfeeding since the surgeon always pays special attention not to damage the ducts through which milk must circulate. The only recommendation in this regard is to avoid becoming pregnant for a few months after surgery and allow your breasts to fully adapt to the implants. During pregnancy the breast undergoes a series of changes that can affect this process of adaptation. There is no scientific study that associates a higher incidence of breast cancer in women who have had breast augmentation.
You can go back to work within a few days but in case the work requires significant efforts, going back to work should be delayed for a few days. Also, the practice of any sport can be resumed with the same intensity as before the operation after resting for a few weeks. It is not obligatory to replace the implants after ten years, as discussed in many publications.
Technology has advanced dramatically in recent years and the material the prostheses are made of has greatly reduced the risks which were present a few years ago. Some manufacturers even offer lifetime anti-rupture guarantee. It is recommended to have your implants checked on a regular basis after ten years in order to monitor their development in the breasts, and they will be replaced only in cases there is a problem.
Breast augmentation in Indianapolis achieves fantastic results in general, helping the patients who seek an improvement of their breasts to be more self-confident and satisfied with themselves.
Scars after breast augmentation
Breast augmentation in Indianapolis is a surgery that achieves the desired breast size and shape by placing breast implants in both breasts through a small incision. This small cut will leave a small scar, which thanks to advances in the field of plastic surgery, will be virtually invisible. But it is important to note that the patient should follow a few tips for the scars to develop in the right way.
Healing is a natural, physiological process, which aims to restore damaged skin after an ‘attack’, either by surgery, accidents, burns, etc. Healing is different for each person, influencing various circumstances such as the area of the wound, the extent and depth of it, genetic factors, etc. Healing takes time for its completion, usually a year, so during the first year we should not consider it as the final result. The scars are improving gradually, the size decreases with the time and redness from the beginning disappears.
The patient should follow a few tips for the scars to develop in the right way.
Once the surgery is done, healing starts, which aims at correcting the damaged area. It is a process that needs time to heal and get a proper recovery in the region that has been damaged, both functionally and aesthetically. The plastic surgeon will choose the option that allows better healing, because to achieve a natural aesthetic appearance scar should be almost invisible.
The healing process of the altered region has different phases:
- First there is an inflammatory phase which usually lasts about four days. In this phase the wound is closing gradually. Vasoconstriction occurs to decrease bleeding from the surgical site, and then continues with vasodilation. Being an inflammatory phase typical symptoms of it appear, such as pain and heat. The duration of this phase influences the size of the scar, so that the longer duration the bigger the scar, resulting in a worse aesthetic appearance.
- The second stage is fibroblastic, which occurs generally from the fifth to the fortieth day. It is a phase in which the connective tissues are recovered, blood vessels and epithelialization are formed.
- The third stage is a maturation phase, which starts from the fortieth day. At this stage the scar softens, losing hardness, flattens and discomfort such as pain and heat are disappearing. The consistency of the damaged area is recovering.
Scarring is influenced by various circumstances which affect the proper development of it. The following can be highlighted:
- Adequate surgical technique. The surgeon’s experience is important, as she should choose the surgical approach which will provide best result, with very fine stitches, so that the scar is almost invisible.
- Infections: since the skin gets damaged, there is always the possibility that infections occur, but these infections are generally not serious, since the surgeon monitors the wound and where it is necessary to use antibiotics, which would control the infection. It should be noted that today’s antibiotics are usually very effective.
- Nutritional state: adequate nutrition of the patient helps better healing, as in patients with poor nutrition the healing is slower.
A number of factors that influence healing after breast augmentation in Indianapolis must be considered, so the patient must know and follow the recommendations of her plastic surgeon:
- Age: the passage of time produces a worse performance of the various functions of the body, so healing is also altered.
- There are different diseases that impede healing as diabetes, arterial insufficiency, renal failure, etc.
- Tobacco: it is very harmful for the circulation, so it damages blood arteries, which at the same time worsens the healing process.
- Alcohol: alcohol generates malnutrition, which as we noted earlier, alters healing.
- Various medical treatments such as chemotherapy, radiation, etc.
Advice on scars that any patient undergoing a breast augmentation surgery in Indianapolis should follow are:
- Do not smoke: tobacco decreases oxygenation of the body significantly, so healing is difficult and worse. You should not be smoking or at least minimize the consumption of cigarettes.
- Hydrate: It is very important that the skin is properly hydrated, for which moisturizers, rosehip oil, etc. are recommended.
- Sunscreen: during the first year the scar should not be exposed to sunlight. You should use sunscreens of high protection even on cloudy days.
- Massage: the massages improve the evolution of the scar, as they favor the scar acquiring a smoother and flattened appearance.
- Nutrition: It is recommended that the patient be well hydrated so you must eat a healthy and balanced diet.